Currently in Corfu and had this for lunch so thought I would add a recipe.
Serves : 4 – Cals per portion : 575 – Prep time : 20 mins, plus standing – Cooking time : 1 hr 5 mins
Ingredients: 1 aubergine, trimmed and sliced; salt and ground black pepper; 2 oz (50g) butter; 2 tblsp vegetable oil; 2 onions, peeled and sliced; 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed; 1 lb (450g) lean minced lamb; 1 tblsp tomato puree; ¼ pt (150ml) lamb stock; 1 tsp dried thyme. For the sauce: 1 oz (25g) butter; 1 oz (25g) plain flour; ½ pt (300ml) milk; 2 oz (50g) cheddar cheese, grated; 1 egg, size 3, beaten
- Place the aubergine on a plate and sprinkle with salt. Leave to stand for 30 mins. Rinse well and pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4, 350oF, 180oC. Heat the butter and oil in a large pan and fry the aubergine, turning frequently, for 3-4 mins or until golden on both sides. Remove from the pan, drain and reserve.
- Add onions and garlic to pan, fry for 4 mins, then add lamb and continue to cook for 5 mins. Add tomato puree, stock and thyme, then season well and transfer to a baking dish.
- To make the sauce: Melt butter in a pan, add flour and cook for 1 min. Remove from heat and stir in milk and cheese. Return to heat, season, and bring to boil, stirring frequently, Remove from heat and beat in egg.
- Layer aubergines over lamb mixture, then pour sauce on top and cook in oven for 45 mins, or until cooked through. Serve with mixed salad.