Cook time: 30 mins
Ingredients: 4 small or 2 larger whole fish, such as red or grey mullet, or red snapper, gutted; juice of 2 limes or lemons; 6 tblsp extra virgin olive oil; 6 fresh bay leaves or sprigs of marjoram, plus extra to garnish. A pinch of dried thyme.
- Score the fish diagonally with a sharp knife. Rub inside and out with half the lime juice, salt and pepper, and 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Place the bay leaves inside the fish and sprinkle with a pinch of thyme.
- Place the fish over the hot barbecue coals (or under a hot grill), preferably in a wire basket or wrapped in foil, and cook for about 10 minutes on each side, or longer for larger fish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining olive oil and lemon juice, garnish with bay leaves or marjoram and serve immediately with a Greek salad.
Wire basket for cooking the fish:
Serves: 4; Prep: 15 mins plus overnight marinating; Cook: 20 minutes
If you don’t want to use scallops or prawns, use an extra 8oz (225g) cod fillet instead. For a real treat cook them on a barbecue.
Ingredients: 1 lb (450g) cod fillet; 4 rashers streaky bacon; 8 scallops or large prawns; 2 lemons; 2 onions, 1 tbsp / 15ml lemon juice; 2 tbsp / 30ml runny honey; 2 tbsp/30ml light soy sauce; 1 tbsp/15ml tomato puree; 1 tbsp/15ml wholegrain mustard; salt and pepper
- Cut the cod fillet into large pieces. Using the back of a knife, stretch the rashers of bacon. Halve each one and wrap each half around each scallop or prawn.
- Thickly slice the lemon and quarter each slice. Peel and cut the onion into large pieces. Thread fish, scallops, lemon and onion onto 8 skewers and place in a non-metallic dish.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour over the fish, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight, basting with the marinade occasionally.
- Preheat the grill to high. Cook the skewers in a foil-lined grill pan for about 10 minutes or until cooked. Baste with the marinade during the cooking.
- Serve immediately on a bed of rice with any remaining marinade spooned over.
You can cook these spicy kebabs on the barbecue or grill – just turn them often to prevent burning.
Serves: 4; Cals per portion: 250
Ingredients: 4 chicken breast fillets, skinned; 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil; juice of 1 lime; 5ml (1 tsp) each ground black pepper, chilli powder and paprika; 10ml (2 tsp) dried oregano; 1 large onion, cut into pieces; 1/2 green pepper, cut into pieces; 8 small tomatoes; lime wedges and oregano to garnish.
- Cut the chicken fillets into even-sized pieces and place in a sealable non-metallic container. Mix together the oil, lime juice, spices and oregano, then pour over the chicken. Leave to marinate for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Thread the chicken on to 4 metal skewers with the onion and pepper pieces, placing a tomato at each end of a skewer.
- Cook under a medium grill for 20-25 mins. Turn occasionally until chicken is cooked through and slightly charred.
- Garnish with lime wedges and fresh oregano, then serve with warmed tortilla pancakes, soured cream and salad.