Serves: 4; Takes: 25 mins plus marinating; Calories/Fat: 304 cals /22g; Sodium/Added sugar: 1.2g/0.4g
Ingredients: 2 tblsp olive oil; 1 garlic clove, crushed; 2 sprigs of fresh thyme; 3 red peppers, deseeded and quartered; 400g (14oz) asparagus, trimmed; 1 x 250g Halloumi cheese, thickly sliced; 2 tblsp sweet chilli sauce; Salt
- Mix the oil, garlic and thyme and marinade the veg and cheese, reserving a little, for at least 15 mins or in the fridge overnight.
- Barbecue the peppers first (they can take up to 10 mins), turning occasionally. When the peppers are almost ready, add the asparagus for one min and then the Halloumi for 30 seconds on each side.
- Skin the peppers and mix with the cheese and asparagus. Season with salt. Stir the chilli sauce into the remaining marinade and drizzle over the warm salad.
Would you like to try to make Halloumi?
An Asparagus cooker when not grilling as in this recipe.
Cook time: 20 mins
Ingredients: 300g (10oz) young asparagus, stems trimmed; 8 large scallops; 1 tbsp butter; 200ml (7 fl oz) whipping cream
- Cut off the top 5cm (2in) of the spears and reserve. Cut the stems into 2.5cm (1in) lengths. Add the asparagus stems to a pan of salted boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain. Place the asparagus tips in the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Remove, drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place the scallops in buttered foil and bake in the preheated oven for 4 minutes at 190oC/375oF/Gas 5.
- Place the cooked asparagus stems in a food processor with the cream and process to make a smooth sauce. Transfer to a small pan and heat gently, but do not allow to boil. Taste for seasoning and add salt if necessary. Arrange 2 scallops on each plate (or in a scallop shell) in a pool of sauce, and serve with some of the asparagus tips.
Some scallop plates to serve in.
A cookbook for all things scallopy.