Enjoy the taste of Italy with this tempting chicken dish ….. it’s brimming with Mediterranean flavour!
Serves: 4; Cals per portion: 659; Prep time: 15 mins; Cook time: 1 hr 20 mins
- 1oz (25g) butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 x 8oz (225g) part-boned chicken breasts, trimmed, washed and dried
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, trimmed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2oz (50g) pancetta ham or unsmoked rindless streaky bacon, trimmed and chopped
- 8oz (225g) button mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 14oz (397g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 7 fl oz (200ml) dry white wine
- 2oz (50g) green olives stuffed with pimientos
- 2oz (50g) pitted black olives
Step One – In a large frying pan, melt fat with oil. Add the chicken breasts and fry for 7-8 mins, or until browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Place in an ovenproof casserole dish and set aside.
Step Two – Preheat oven to Gas 5, 375oF, 190oC. Using the same frying pan, fry the onion, celery, garlic, pancetta ham or bacon, and mushrooms for 3-4 mins, or until just softened. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to the casserole dish.
Step Three – Place the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, dried oregano, salt and black pepper in a large saucepan. Pour the dry white wine into the saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the tomato and wine sauce to the chicken mixture in the casserole dish.
Step Four – Mix well, then cover dish and cook in oven for 50 mins, or until the chicken is tender. Remove casserole from the oven and stir in the olives. Return to the oven and cook, uncovered, for a further 10 mins. Serve with warm ciabatta bread and a dry white wine.