Recipe taken from Diabetes Magazine and shared by nutritionist Azmina Govindji. (www.azminanutrition.com)
A vegan recipe
Makes: 10 – Prep time: 20 mins
Per 33g serving:
Carbs: 14g – Cals: 128 – Sugars: 11g – Fat: 6g – Sat Fat: 0.9g – Salt: 0.04g – Protein: 3.2g – Fibre: 2.5g
0 portion of fruit and veg
60g cashew nuts
3 tsp flaxseeds (golden linseeds)
3 tsp sesame seeds
½ tsp cardamom powder (optional)
12 dried dates
1 tsp pistachio nuts, ground
- Toast the almonds in a dry pan for about 5 minutes over a medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- Toast the cashew nuts over a medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Grind the cornflakes until they look like breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Pulse the toasted almonds in a grinder or food processor until powdery. Do not over blitz as they will turn into almond butter. Add them to the cornflakes.
- Roughly chop the toasted cashews and add to the almond and cornflake mix.
- Roast the flaxseeds, sesame seeds and cardamom powder for about 30 seconds till they pop. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove the stones and chop the dates into small pieces. Add to the bowl of roasted nuts.
- Pulse or crush the seeds and mix with the date and cashew mixture while the seeds are still warm from grinding.
- Work the mixture with your hands until the ingredients are combined. Form into 10 ball shapes.
- Dip each ball into the ground pistachios and serve.