Recipe Courtesy of Psychologies Magazine (May 2020) and taken from Life Kitchen by Ryan Riley.
Broccoli pairs deliciously with aromatic orange, which provides an uplifting aroma and acidity to balance out the other flavours. Ideal for a quick lunch.
Serves : 2
230g long-stem broccoli
1 tsp capers
Small handful of flaked almonds
3 tblsp full-fat Greek yogurt
1 tsp Chilli Oil (see recipe)
1 orange, zested and halved
Sprinkling of sumac
Chilli flakes, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180oC. Place the broccoli on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Spoon the capers over and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the almonds over and bake for 5 minutes more, until the broccoli is tender and the almonds golden.
- While the broccoli is baking, combine the yogurt and Chilli Oil in a bowl. Peel and segment one orange half. As soon as the broccoli is ready, squeeze the juice from the remaining orange half over the top, sprinkle with a good dusting of sumac and orange zest and serve with a dollop of the chilli yogurt (sprinkled with chilli flakes, if you like) and the orange segments on the side.
Ingredients (Makes 200ml) :
200ml rapeseed oil
40g dried chipotle chilli flakes
20g red chilli flakes
- Place a saucepan on a medium heat and add the oil. Bring it to a simmer – be very careful as the oil will be extremely hot. After a few moments, drop in a chilli flake: if the oil is hot enough, the flake will sizzle slightly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in both types of chilli flakes. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Pour the cooled Chilli Oil into a sterilised jar and seal with a lid.