Serves: 4; Cals per portion: 177; Prep time: 10 mins
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 large ripe avocados, peeled, halved and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Step One – Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 30 secs. NB: If you don’t own a food processor, finely chop the ingredients and mash with a fork.
Step Two – Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and chill until required.
Other Mexican recipes can be found here.
This dish of avocados with sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella slices, artichokes hearts and crisp bacon is a superb main course salad packed with flavours. The tomatoes can be bought dried, and need soaking in water to soften before use, or in oil in a jar ready for use. Supermarkets stock them.
Serves: 4; Prep time: 20 mins; Cook time: 5 mins
Approximate nutritional values per portion: 600 calories; 17g protein; 50g fat; 10g carbohydrate
Ingredients: 6oz (175g) back bacon, derided and chopped; 1 tblsp oil; 4oz (100g) sun-dried tomatoes in oil; 14oz (400g) canned artichokes hearts; 6oz (175g) mozzarella; 1 avocado; lemon juice
For the dressing: 4 tblsp olive oil; 1 tblsp white wine vinegar; 1 clove garlic, crushed; ½ tsp Dijon mustard; salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fry the bacon in a little oil until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper. Reserve. Cut sun-dried tomatoes into thick strips. Quarter artichoke hearts and cut mozzarella into thin slices. Place these in a bowl with the bacon and tomatoes.
- Peel and coarsely chop the avocado. Drizzle with lemon juice, then add to bowl.
- Shake all the dressing ingredients together in a screw-top jar then pour over contents of the bowl. Toss gently to avoid damaging the avocado. Serve immediately.
Other Italian recipes
Something for serving the salad.