Serves : 4-6
Preparation Time : 25 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
4 sheets of filo pastry
2 tblsp olive oil
3 courgettes, sliced
500g (1 lb) ricotta
4 eggs, beaten
3 tblsp basil leaves, shredded
Small grating of nutmeg
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
75g (2 1/2 oz) Parmesan, freshly grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Large handful of pine nuts
Step One : Heat the oven to 200oC / Gas Mark 6. Grease a large tart tin and line with 4 layers of filo pastry, brushing each sheet with a little oil and slightly overlapping the sheets. Transfer to the oven and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until just golden.
Step Two : Heat 1 tblsp olive oil in a frying pan and saute the courgettes for 5-7 minutes until golden around the edges, then set aside. In a bowl, beat the ricotta with the eggs, basil, nutmeg, chilli flakes, two thirds of the Parmesan and the garlic. Set aside.
Step Three : Spread the pastry with the ricotta mix. Press the courgette slices into the ricotta, then scatter over the pine nuts and the remaining Parmesan.
Step Four : Bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling is golden. Serve warm with a green salad.
Recipe courtesy of Psychologies Magazine and taken from Summer Every Day by Acland Geddes and Pedro Da Silva.
Serves : 4
4 courgettes, sliced lengthwise
Olive oil, for brushing
1 garlic clove, crushed
Grated zest and freshly squeezed juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
2-3 sprigs fresh mint leaves, chopped
Small bunch of fresh basil, chopped
A handful of roasted hazelnuts
Step One : Warm a ridged grill pan or barbecue until it’s smoking hot. Brush the courgette slices with olive oil and cook on both sides until nicely charred. Remove from the pan.
Step Two : Mix together the crushed garlic, lemon juice, mint, half the basil and a good glug of olive oil. Pour over the grilled courgettes. Scatter with the remaining basil, roasted hazelnuts and the lemon zest. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Courgettes, basil and smoked streaky bacon make a really delicious filling for this Italian pasty known as calzone.
Serves: 4; Prep: 15 mins plus proving time; Cook: 15 mins; Cals per portion: 617
Ingredients: 30ml ( 2tbsp) olive oil; 2 cloves of garlic, crushed; 350g (12oz) courgettes, thinly sliced; 15ml (1 tbsp) white wine vinegar; 30ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh basil; 280g (10 ½ oz) wholemeal pizza base mix; 225g (8oz) streaky bacon, crisply grilled and roughly chopped; 175g (6oz) gruyere cheese, thinly sliced.
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the garlic and courgettes until tender. Add the white wine vinegar and chopped basil and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until all the excess moisture has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
2. Make up pizza dough according to the instructions. Divide into four and roll into circles measuring 15cm (6in) in diameter.
3. Preheat the oven to Mark 6 (200oC/400oF). Place the courgette mixture on half of each base. Top with 175g (6oz) bacon and gruyere cheese. Wet the edge of the base with water, fold over and seal together.
4. Place on a greased baking tray and cover with greased clingfilm. Leave in a warm place for 20-30 minutes to prove.
5. Cook for 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Place the remaining bacon on top of each calzone. Return to the oven and cook for 5 minutes until piping hot and golden brown.