A traditional winter pudding, this sweet lemony pie is surprisingly easy to make
Serves: 4-6; Prep: 30 mins; Cook: 50 mins baking, plus chilling
Ingredients: 225g (8oz) ready-made shortcrust pastry
For the filling and topping: 1 large lemon; 2 tbsp granulated sugar; 2 tbsp cornflour; 2 large eggs, separated; 15g (1/2oz) butter; 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas 6. Heat a baking sheet
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 20cm (8in) round ovenproof flan dish. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Pare the rind from the lemon and squeeze the juice. Put the rind, granulated sugar and 300ml (1/2 pt) water in a pan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat, bring to the boil and boil for 1 minute, without stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Blend the cornflour and lemon juice. Remove the rind from the syrup. Slowly pour the syrup onto the cornflour mixture, stirring all the time. Add the egg yolks and butter and mix well. return to the pan and stir over a low heat until thickened. Set aside.
- Prick the pastry base with a fork. Line the case with fiol and baking beans. Bake on the preheated baking sheet for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans. Bake for a further 10 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked and golden.
- Reduce the oven heat to 150oC/300oF/Gas 2.l Carefully spoon the lemon filling into the pastry case.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar, a little at a time. Pipe or spread the meringue over the lemon filling, making suare it covers the edge of the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the meringue is golden. Serve warm or cold.