Makes: 12 slices; Cals per slice: 365
- Sift 225g (8oz) self raising flour and 5ml (1 tsp) baking powder into a large bowl. Add 225g (8oz) each caster sugar and soft margarine or butter, and 30ml (2 tbsp) coffee essence or strong black coffee.
- Beat with an electric whisk until mixture is pale and creamy. Divide between 2 20cm (8 in) round, greased and base lined cake tins. Level surfaces with a palette knife.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190oC, 375oF, Gas 5 for 25-30 mins until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Leave in the tins for 5 mins, then turn out on to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place 175g (6oz) unsalted butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually beat in 350g (12oz) icing sugar and 30ml (2 tbsp) coffee essence or strong black coffee until smooth.
- Sandwich the two cakes together with a quarter of the icing and spread the remainder over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with walnut halves.
Tip: To freeze cake in slices, place greaseproof paper between each slice, then wrap whole cake in foil or place in a freezerproof container. Each slice will take about 40 mins to defrost.