Recipe courtesy of Psychologies Magazine and taken from Hungry Woman by nutritionist Pauline Cox.
Maximise your health, enhance your happiness, and re-balance your hormones with these wellness-boosting dishes.
Risotto .. with a difference. This fibre-packed, low-carb version of a classic is speedy, delicious and healthy, full of potassium and magnesium and liver-loving goodness.
Coconut oil, for frying
1 white onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 leek, sliced and washed
2 small courgettes, chopped
400g cauliflower rice (widely available in supermarkets)
150ml veggie stock or bone broth, or 4 ice cubes of frozen bone broth
1/2 bag of spinach
1/2 bag of kale, chopped with stalks removed
30g nutritional yeast, plus extra to serve
A drizzle of olive oil
A handful of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
Chopped fresh herbs of choice
A good pinch of beetroot salt or sea salt
A dollop of roasted red pepper pesto (optional)
- Add a little coconut oil into a large pan and saute the onions, garlic, leek and courgettes until soft and brown. Add in the cauliflower rice and cook with the veggie mix for a few minutes, before adding the stock.
- Add the spinach and chopped kale, allowing it to wilt into the cauliflower rice mix.
- Take half of the veggie and cauliflower rice mix and add to a blender, then combine until smooth.
- Reintroduce the smooth mix back to the remaining half of the veggie and cauliflower rice mix, and stir in the nutritional yeast before plating up.
- Drizzle with olive oil, toss on the seeds and chopped herbs, beetroot salt and extra sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Add a dollop of roasted red pepper pesto for an extra kick.