Recipe has been taken from : Flavour Kitchen : Vibrant Recipes with Creative Twists by Crystelle Pereira
Fried to crispy perfection, these fritters make an excellent side dish or brunch served with poached eggs. Fry them in coconut oil to form crispy, aromatic patties.
1 large white potato, coarsely grated
1 medium brown onion, grated
1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
5 tbsp coconut oil
7 curry leaves
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 white cabbage, finely shredded
20g desiccated coconut
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 thin green chilli/Indian finger chilli, finely diced
Ingredients for the coconut yogurt dip:
4 heaped tbsp unsweetened coconut yogurt
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp garlic powder
a pinch of fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- Place the grated potato and onion in a bowl with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and mix well to combine. Transfer the mixture to a large colander over a sink and allow the excess moisture to drain while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Gently heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a frying pan over a low heat and, once warm, add the curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds, frying for a few minutes until fragrant. Tip these spices into a large bowl.
- Using your hands, squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the grated potato and onion, then tip the drained mixture into the bowl with the spices, mixing well to combine. Add the cabbage, coconut, eggs, turmeric, flower, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and diced chilli, and give this one last final mix.
- Now fry the fritters. Place the remaining oil in the same frying pan used to temper the spices, over a medium heat. Once hot, spoon a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into the hot oil, flattening with the back of the spoon. Frying for 2 1/2 minutes on each side until crispy and golden, then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper, to soak up the excess oil. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To make the dip, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.