Recipe courtesy of Psychologies Magazine taken from Feasts of Veg: Vibrant vegetarian recipes for gatherings
Poached pears look and taste stunning and are simple to make. Here, they are infused with aromatic fresh ginger and hibiscus tea, and served with vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 4 firm pears, peeled but stalks intact
- 1 ltr strong hibiscus tea (let it steep for 10 minutes)
- 1 tbsp pureed fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp pureed lemongrass (optional)
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Ice cream
- Sprinkles of black sesame seeds
- Put the pears in a saucepan. Fill the saucepan with the hibiscus tea and add the pureed ginger, pureed lemongrass, agave syrup and vanilla extract.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat but keep the pears in the syrup until serving.
- The pears can be poached up to two days in advance, then cooled and kept, tightly covered, in the fridge.
- Reheat gently before serving.
- Carefully remove the pears from the syrup and serve with vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle the pears and ice cream with black sesame seeds.
One thought on “Ginger and Hibiscus Poached Pears”
Wow that is an awesome idea to add hibiscus!! I have always had it in tea, but never in a dessert like this! (: