Serves: 6-8 – Prep time: 35 mins plus time to chill filling – Cook time: 20 mins
Ingredients: 400g (13oz) Hobnob biscuits; 75-100g (2 ½ – 3 ½ oz) unsalted butter, melted; 500ml (16 fl oz) double cream; 50g (1 ¾ oz) icing sugar; ½ tsp vanilla extract; 1 shot (30ml / 1 fl oz) of Malibu liqueur (or more)
To Decorate: Soft shredded coconut, such as Baker’s Angel Flake (do not replace with dessicated coconut), toasted; Dark chocolate, melted; White chocolate, melted
Coconut Pastry Cream: 250ml (8 fl oz) coconut milk; 50ml (1 ¾ fl oz) coconut cream; 3 tblsp caster sugar; 2 egg yolks; 1 tsp vanilla extract; 1 tsp coconut extract; 2 ½ tblsp cornflour; 50g (1 ¾ oz) unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 145oC (gas mark 1 ½ ). Grease a 23cm (9in) pie dish. To make the crust, crush the biscuits to fine crumbs. Add the melted butter – the amount of butter you need varies. Squeeze a bit of the mixture into your hand to make a ball. The mixture should hold its shape, but also fall apart when touched slightly. If it doesn’t hold its shape too well, add more biscuits to absorb the butter.
- Press the mixture into the pie dish, going all the way up the sides. Cover with a round of greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans to the top. Bake in the hot oven for 12-20 minutes until the crust is firm and dry. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- To make the Malibu whipped cream, combine the cream, icing sugar, vanilla extract and Malibu in a bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. Spread a thin layer of the Malibu whipped cream over the base of the baked pie shell. Spoon the coconut pastry cream (see below) into te pie and level with spatula. Dollop the remaining Malibu cream on top. Sprinkle toasted shredded coconut over the top and drizzle with dark and white melted chocolate. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
To Make the Coconut Pastry Cream
- Put the coconut milk and cream and half the sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir. As soon as it comes to the boil, remove it from the heat and set aside. Place the egg yolks, vanilla extract and coconut extract in a large, heatproof bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining sugar and the cornflour and mix thoroughly. Add to the egg yolks and whisk thoroughly. While the milk mixture is still hot, whisk it into the egg mixture in the bowl. Strain the mixture back into the saucepan, set over a medium-low heat and whisk continuously until it reaches a boil. Strain the mixture again into a bowl and stir in the butter until melted and thoroughly combined. Lay a sheet of cling film directly on the surface of the pastry cream, then let cool. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using. When ready to use, whisk lightly to bring back to a semi-soft consistency.