A recipe courtesy of Easy Living Magazine
Most of us have a packet of frozen peas in our freezer. They are useful for using as a side dish and in soups, risottos and braised dishes. This soup is startingly simple and fast. Home-made stock makes it even tastier, but you can just as easily use a good-quality organic chicken or vegetable stock cube or powder.
Serves : 2 – Quick and Easy – ready to eat in 10 minutes 🙂
- Heat 1 tblsp olive oil in a saucepan and add 70g (2 ¼ oz) cubed pancetta, a crushed clove of garlic and two chopped stalks of celery.
- Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until the pancetta is starting to colour and crisp and the celery softens.
- Add 750ml (24 fl oz) of boiling chicken or vegetable stock or boiling water with a stock cube.
- Add 300g (10oz) of frozen peas (straight from the packet) and 3 chopped spinach or chard leaves, and return the broth to the boil.
- Simmer gently for about 3 minutes, or until the peas are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.