Remember that a real risotto should have a very saucy consistency
Serves: 6; Prep: 15 mins; Cook: 45 mins; Cost £3; Cals per portion: 340
Ingredients: 400g/14oz ripe tomatoes; 2-3 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped; 4 tbsp olive oil; 400g/14oz arborio (risotto) rice; about 1.5 litres/2 1/2 pints vegetable, meat or chicken stock, kept boiling hot; 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley; salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dip all the tomatoes in boiling water for about 1 minute, then skin them quickly. Cut them in half and remove the seeds. Chop the tomatoes very coarsely.
- Fry the garlic gently in the olive oil for about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir until dry, then add a ladleful of the stock and stir.
- Continue adding the stock, wait for the rice to absorb the liquid and then gradually add more stock, a ladleful at a time.
- When half of the liquid has been added, stir in the tomatoes and parsley, then continue adding the liquid until it is almost entirely absorbed – although it must remain just wet enough to ripple when it cooks. It will take about 20-40 minutes to cook.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. cover and allow to rest for about 2 minutes, then serve immediately.