A recipe by Gary Rhodes
You can’t beat a drop of the Irish black stuff to add body and flavour to a simple roast lamb dish, says Gary Rhodes.
You’ll go a long way to find a richer grave than this one, flavoured with Guinness and sugar to give it a lovely glaze. I often roast potatoes in with the lamb – you can imagine the flavours they pick up! Serve the lamb and potatoes with buttered spinach and the gravy.
Ingredients: 3 lb (1.5kg) leg of lamb, boned and rolled; salt and pepper; 1 tblsp cooking fat; fresh rosemary sprig; 10fl oz (300ml) Guinness; 2oz (50g) brown cane sugar; 10fl oz (300ml) gravy or 10fl oz (300ml Crosse & Blackwell Bonne Cuisine Madeira wine gravy
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/400oF, Gas Mark 6. Season the lamb with the salt and pepper. Place in a roasting tin with the cooking fat and brown the lamb on top of the stove. Add the rosemary sprig and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and pour in the Guinness. Baste over the lamb. Return to the oven and continue to roast for 45 minutes, basting frequently.
- Remove lamb from the oven, sprinkle the sugar on top and roast for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oven, baste the lamb and roast for 10 minutes. The lamb should now have a rich glaze, and there should be some liquor in the pan for the gravy.
- The total cooking time of around 1 hour 15 minutes will give you medium pink lamb. If you prefer your lamb well done, continue to cook the joint for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Once roasted, remove the lamb from the roasting tin and leave to rest. Remove any excess fat from the pan juices, leaving the Guinness liquor. Add the gravy orMadeirawine gravy and bring to the boil. Season to taste then strain through a sieve.
- The lamb is now ready to carve. Pour the gravy over the meat and serve with roast potatoes and buttered spinach.
One thought on “Roast Leg of Lamb with Guinness”
Thanks for this great recipe. And for those who don’t have time on there hands you can get a great British meal ready to eat straight from Arments Pie & Mash shop. or you can check our website for deliveries.