Forget the takeaway, now you can create your own extra special pizza at home – just follow these four simple steps. For a fish topping, replace the pepperoni sausage with chunks of tuna fish and prawns – or add extra veg for a veggie version.
Serves 4: Time to Prepare: 25 mins plus rising time; Time to Cook: 15-20 mins
Cals per portion: 500
Ingredients: 2 x 148g packets pizza base mix; 75g (3oz) grated mozzarella cheese; 2 spring onions, finely chopped; 100g (4oz) mushrooms, wiped and sliced; 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil; 60ml (4 tbsp) sun-dried tomato paste; 1/2 green and 1/2 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced into rings; 50g (2oz) pepperoni sausage, thinly sliced; 100g (4oz) mozzarella cheese, sliced; few fresh basil sprigs to garnish
- Make up the pizza base mixes together according to the packet instructions. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface, then knead for 5 mins to form a smooth dough. Roll out to a 33cm (13in) circle and then transfer to a greased and floured baking sheet.
- Mix together the grated mozzarella cheese and the spring onions and season with salt and freshly grown black pepper. Spread the cheese mixture in a thin ring on the pizza base, about 2.5 cm (1 in) in from the edge. Lightly brush the edge with water.
- Fold in edge of the pizza base to completely enclose the cheese filling. Press down well to seal. Cover loosely with cling film and leave in a warm place for 40 mins until dough has risen. Fry the mushrooms in the oil for 3-4 mins until browned.
- Spread tomato paste over pizza, then top with peppers, pepperoni sausage and mushrooms. Bake at 220oC, 425oF, Gas 7 for 10 mins, then top with sliced mozzarella cheese and bake for a further 5 mins.serve garnished with fresh basil leaves.
- Tip: Most large supermarkets now sell jars of sun-dried tomato paste – but if you can’t find it you could use a jar of ready-made tomato and herb pizza topping instead.